Hardy Buoys Seafood Lasagna
Yield: 12 pieces
When we think of lasagna, we tend to think of ground beef and tomato sauce which is not always the case as you will see as you read this recipe. The golden top and creamy white sauce sets off the colours of the seafood perfectly while the savoury flavour will cause your taste buds to feel like they have gone directly to heaven. It is a beauty to look at and to eat!
This recipe may seem to have a lot of ingredients and plenty of method steps but the longest part of making it is baking it in the oven. Hardy Buoys Seafood Lasagna will make a fabulous celebration dinner or even a Sunday dinner.
- 15 lasagna noodles – partially cooked
- 1 salmon – sliced ¼ inch thick - found in Hardy Buoys retail store
- 1 halibut -sliced ¼ inch thick - found seasonally in Hardy Buoys retail store
- ½ of your favourite Hardy Buoys Smoked Salmon – broken up into smaller pieces
- 1 # spot prawns – peeled, deveined and butterflied – found in Hardy Buoys retail store 4 cups of spinach - stemmed
- ½ cup butter
- 1 onion – minced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 cup flour 1 L full fat whip cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Fill a large pot 2/3 full with hot water. Add 1 tbsp salt. Bring to a boil over high heat.
3. Once the water is at a rolling boil add the lasagna noodles. Stir frequently.
4. Bring the water back up to a boil and boil the lasagna for approximately 5 minutes stirring occasionally to keep them from sticking together or until pliable but not cooked through.
5. Drain with a colander and place in cold water to stop the cooking process. Leave in the water until ready to assemble.
6. Slice the fish and clean the spot prawns. Place each item in their own bowl for later as you will be using each ingredient in a separate layer.
7. Prepare the cream sauce by heating the butter in a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat.
8. Once the butter is melted, add the minced onions and garlic and cook stirring frequently until transparent.
9. Add the flour to the melted butter mixture and whisk until all the butter is absorbed by the flour. Continue to cook over medium heat for 2 -3 minutes
10. Slowly add 1 cup of the cream and whisk quickly to remove all the flour lumps. Add the rest of the cream and continue whisking until the mixture comes up to a simmer and thickens. Set aside.
11. To assemble
a. ladle approximately ¾ cup of the sauce into the bottom of a 9 x 13 casserole dish and spread to cover the bottom of the dish.
b. Place 3 lasagna noodles side-by-side on top of the sauce.
c. Add another ¾ cup of sauce then add a layer of salmon.
d. Place 3 lasagna noodles on top and gently press down to keep the ingredients flat
e. Add sauce and halibut, spinach, then noodles and press.
f. Add sauce and smoked salmon, then noodles and press.
g. Add sauce and butterflied spot prawns, then noodles and press. h. Add sauce and grated mozzarella cheese making sure to cover the top noodles completely or they will become hard during cooking.
12. Place on a rimmed cookie sheet and cover with tin foil sprayed with oil.
13. Cook in the oven on the middle rack for 1 hour.
14. Remove the tin foil and cook approximately ½ hour or until the top is golden brown and the sauce is bubbling.
15. Let cool until the sauce has quit bubbling.
16. Cut in 12, carefully lift each piece out to preserve the layers, and serve with a nice glass of crisp white wine of your choice and enjoy.